Pages Tab

Friday, January 1, 2016

Dreamcatcher by Stephen King

Publication date: March 1, 2002
# of pages: 688
Genre: Science fiction

Dreamcatcher is the first book I have ever read by Stephen King. There is a movie based on this book; it is also titled Dreamcatcher. For me the title of this book suggested something different. I don’t know exactly what I was expecting, but it wasn’t what I got. I read a lot of reviews about this book prior to reading it, and most of them were not good. Half of those reviews are the reason I picked this book out of all the other Stephen King book to start with. I figured if I even remotely like this one, then I should like his other ones. However, I’m still not too keen on reading his book, It. I just don’t think that will ever happen because the movie scared the s*** out of me as kid and to this day I’m still afraid of clowns. They’re creepy.

Back to Dreamcatcher; please excuse my complete randomness. The book revolves around four characters: Gary Jones A.K.A Jonesy, Henry Devlin, Joe Clarendon A.K.A The Beav (he’s always chewing on toothpicks) and Pete Moore. Jonesy is close to being a college professor and almost died in a sever car accident when he walked into traffic. Henry is a suicidal therapist who drove one of his clients to commit suicide. How IRONIC is that!?!? The Beav is bad with relationships and has just gotten a divorce. Pete is an alcoholic, car salesman.

Each one of them seem to have these weir abilities, except The Beav. Jonesy has a way of knowing things that happened in the past even if he was not there. For example, he knew that one of his students cheated on a test and wasn’t even at work that day. Henry also seems to have the same ability, i.e. he knew the real reason why the client he drove to commit suicide was so depressed without the client telling him anything about the incident. Pete can see a line which can lead him to something or somewhere he is looking for. This is shown in the novel when he helps a woman he just met find her car keys.

Every November, the four of them go on a hunting trip at Hole-In-The-Wall. Hole-In-The-Wall is a cabin that The Beav’s father left to him and a place they used to go as kids. The trip is the same as usuall until they encounter two specific people at two different locations. Jonesy and the Beav stayed at the cabin while Pete and Henry go to get more supplies and snacks. Jonesy and the Beav come across a man because Jonesy almost shot him mistaking him for a deer. The man, Rick MacCarthy, is a hunter who claims to have gotten lost. His breaths, farts, and burps smell like ether. This is GROSS and I don’t think I could have been hospitable to him. Around the same time that Jonesy and the Beav encountered Rick, Pete and Henry end up crashing the car attempting to avoid a woman sitting in the middle of the road. I thought this was creepy. I mean who just sits in the middle of the road. I can only imagine; I probably would have hit the lady. Anyways just like Rick, she’s a lost hunter whose breath. Farts, and burps smell like ether.

Both Rick and this woman have some alien type of thing come out their asses (just sick!), then they die leaving a reddish-gold fungus behind. What are these alien like things doing on earth? Why are they here and how did they get into Rick and that woman? And what is the reddish-gold fungus? It is contagious? I mean obviously it’ll kill you.

I must say this book took me forever to finish. I believe it took a year and a half. I mean I just kept putting it down after reading a few pages. What took so long was chapter 10. For some reason, I was reading right along until I got to that chapter then everything just went right down the drain. However, when I finally made it passed that chapter I ended up finishing the book about a week later. I never knew it was possible to have one chapter that is utterly so freaking boring. I mean that book almost got DNF’d (Did Not Finish) and threw away. I hope I never encounter a book like this ever again. I mean I had already invested so much time reading the first nine chapters and I was really enjoying the story. Then bam! Chapter 10 hit and it was like a natural disaster for me.

However, I’m glad I made it passed Chapter 10 because the story turned out to be pretty awesome. I felt like the ending lacked some information, but overall it ended okay. I was able to know most of what I wanted to know with only one unanswered question.


I wouldn’t recommend this book to anyone because I feel like that would be horrible of me to force someone to try to make it through Chapter 10. However, if you pick it up on your own, let me know how it goes for you.

Rating: 

No comments:

Post a Comment