Pages Tab

Friday, June 10, 2016

Twilight by Stephenie Meyer




Twilight is the first book in Stephenie Meyer's Twilight Saga. This is the first book I have read by Meyer, although I do plan on reading The Host. I read this book before it became a movie, and I am glad that I did. Don't get me wrong I like the movie (mainly because of Taylor Lautner as Jacob), but the book is so much BETTER. I came across this book because of a girl at a facility I was at, and she was sitting on her cot reading this book. The cover is what caught my eye because for some reason when I was in high school I did not read as much, which is pretty weird being that I read all the time now. Anyways, I asked her what the book was about. This is what she told me, "A vampire. He falls in love with this human girl and they are like totally in love." I was just sitting there like that's just creepy, but that cover was so intriguing that I decided to give the book a chance. And here we are today.


Twilight is told from Bella's POV and Bella is the human girl that I was told about from the girl mentioned above. Bella is a teenager who moves from Arizona to Washington to live with her father. Now how one goes from sunny, Arizona to rainy, cold Forks, Washington is beyond my level of understanding. Anyways, Bella is in high school and meets this guy (he's too old to be called a boy; I just can't do it) named Edward. Bella and Edward start to fall for each other, even though Bella doesn't yet know that Edward is a vampire. This eventually changes Bella life by adding risk into her everyday life. Not long after Bella finds out that Edward is a vampire and advises her to stay away, a tracker vampire named James comes to Forks. James makes it his mission to hunt Bella down for her irresistible blood, which forces Edward to have to protect her. Will Edward be able to save Bella and her family?

I loved this book. I like the different twist on how the vampire's nature. I liked how they could be out during the day and not die. They only avoided the sun so people wouldn't see their skin glistening. It kind of softens our views of vampires. I liked the idea of compulsion, where the vampires can make you do whatever they want you to do. This bit of information is what also made me interested in the story because Edward was unable to read Bella's mind. I loved how Bella and Edward's relationship evolved. I think that is why I love the book more than the movie. In the movie, it seemed like their love for each other developed so fast that it seemed unrealistic. Now I know you are probably wondering why I care about love seeming realistic in a book with paranormal creatures, but it matters to me. If certain parts of a story seem realistic, it makes me believe that maybe everything else that is happening in the story could be real too.

Rating:

No comments:

Post a Comment