Pages Tab

Thursday, December 17, 2015

The Lying Game by Sara Shepard


Publication date: December 7, 2010
# of pages: 307 
Genre: Young Adult, Romance, Mystery & Thriller

The Lying Game, written by Sara Shepard, is the first book in her The Lying Game series. This is the first book I have read by Shepard and I’m glad I picked it up. I actually found out about this book because of the TV show, The Lying Game, which is based on this book. I was very upset when I learned that the show was being canceled meanwhile The Secret Life of an American Teenager was still airing. I mean at this point I had felt like The Secret Life of an American Teenager could have taken a backseat and this show could have continued on. Anyways, I was heated about my show being canceled. I’m not the type of person that makes sure I’m home sitting in front of the TV at a specific time just to catch a new episode of a show. Usually, I just be like “I’ll catch it another time.” 

Somehow this show had hooked me. Next thing I know I was searching everywhere trying to find out if anyone thought about picking the show back up and that’s when I found out about the book series. I was so excited. I was like yes, yes, yes! Finally, I would be able to know what happens after the part where the TV show ended. I had even done a little happy dance around my bedroom.

Okay back to the main topic here. (I still get a little upset about the canceling of that show). So, The Lying Game deals with a set of twin teenage-girls. Both were adopted at birth. However, one of the twins, Spencer, went to a nice rich family and another, Emma, has bounced from foster home to foster home. Emma has no idea that she has a sister, let alone a twin sister, until she receives an IM (instant message) from a girl that looks identical to herself claiming to be her sister. Spencer arranges for her and Emma to meet. As Emma arrives to the place she is expecting to meet her twin, she is mistaken for Spencer and taken to a party. Emma suddenly realizes that Spencer is nowhere to be found. Now Emma must find her sister while pretending to be her. How can you pretend to be someone you barely know?

I loved this book. I can see the different approaches the TV show took from the book, however I enjoyed both mediums. I had a great time getting to know Emma. We even get to know a little about Spencer by how the people in her life took notice of the differences in Spencer’s behavior (you know once it is Emma pretending to be Spencer). I think if I was thrown in Emma’s situation, I would have been ecstatic but a little heartbroken too. Here you have a sister who has had a nice life while yours wasn’t. I don’t know if that is something I would have handled in the same way Emma does. I also don’t know if I would have liked my twin sister if she acted like Spencer. I do plan to continue to series, hopefully getting to the part where the TV show left off.

I would recommend this book to anyone who loves young adult novels and have seen the TV show as the differences in the two are apparent right from the start.


Rating: 

No comments:

Post a Comment